Sun Protection Cream and a good Insect Repellant are my “must have” aromatherapy products for the summer. I would like to share with you a couple of my favorite recipes.
Shea Dream Sun Protection Cream- Makes 8oz.
Mix together the following ingredients, over low heat in a double boiler:
- 1 cup of raw Shea Butter (Vitellaria paradoxa)
- 4 Tablespoons Carrot Seed Oil (Daucus carota)
- 4 Tablespoons Red Raspberry Oil (Rubus idaeus)
- 3 Tablespoons Macadamia (Macadamia integrifolia)
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (Persea americana)
- 2 Tablespoons Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis)
- 2 Tablespoon Vitamin E
- 1 Tablespoon Non-Nano Zinc Oxide Powder (You can omit this ingredient if you just want a moisturizer.)
Pour into a glass-mixing bowl. Blend ingredients well with a hand mixer.
There are many skin healing essential oil combinations that can be used in this product.
Here is one suggested essential oil blend:
- 10 drops of Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 10 drops Calendula CO2 (Calendula officinalis)
- 15 drops Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii)
- 10 drops Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
Mix in the essential oil blend and put the bowl in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Then, hand mix once again until it is a smooth consistency. Decant into 1-2oz. jars and label.
Check all precautions and lower the dilutions of the essential oils during pregnancy, or for children and elders.
Essential oils are very effective keeping bugs at bay. The blend below is very useful to repel mosquitoes, flies and ticks.
Bug repellent blend- Makes 8oz.
In an 8 oz. amber glass bottle mix together:
- 2 Tablespoon of Vegetable Glycerin
Then, add in the following essential oils and shake.
- 16 drops of Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
- 12 drops Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)
- 12 drops Lemon Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus citriodora)
- 12 drops Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)
- 8 drops Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- 10 drops Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
- 1 Tablespoon Jojoba Oil
- 1 oz. Aloe Vera Gel
- Remainder add purified water or hydrosol.
Catnip (Nepeta cataria), Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus),Mentha x piperita) hydrosol adds a nice fragrance to this blend.
However, for a thicker gel application you can omit the water or hydrosol.
Shake well before use. Apply as needed on the arms, legs or other exposed areas.
Precautions: This essential oil blend is not recommended during pregnancy, children under 10 years of age and those taking anti-coagulant or anti-cancer drugs.
Decant into 2-4oz. spray bottles for easy convenience. Label, and spray away!
Enjoy a wonderful Summertime!